My first experiences with Xamarin have brought me… mixed feelings.
From the installer refusing to add its elements to Visual Studio, thru NuGet returning an incomprehensible list of errors while trying to update the Xamarin Packages. I’ve been thru a pretty rough start, but I would not be where I am today if an ungoogleable error would stop me.
So here is a small list of things to keep in mind while starting out with Xamarin:
- If your Xamarin installation fails, and the manual installations also refuse to work, just uninstall VS altogether and install the full package from xamarin.com/download/ not elegant, but it did the trick for me…
- Install Intel HAXM I think there should be a gigantic label on the main Xamarin page saying “Have you installed HAXM yet?”
- If you haven’t yet installed the Windows SDKs (for me this have not installed along with Xamarin)
- Log in with your Xamarin account (not 100% sure it is necessary for a Community Licence, but just do it, it’s 30 seconds)
- I personally upgraded to Windows 10 to be able to debug Windows10 apps, but you can use Virtual Machines as well.
That helped me out in getting it to work.
Lastly, one piece of advice I wish someone bestowed me while debugging your app you don’t have to close the Emulators in between, and it will save you ALOT of time.
Next week I should already have something concrete!